With Covid-19 (Coronavirus) and strict instructions to stay indoors and more and more people being told to self-isolate this is a great bread recipe to try. Bread is also running out in shops and difficult to find. Bread baking for beginners can be easy and fun with a simple recipe to follow . This is a great recipe to try when you are learning how to bake bread. Baking bread can be so much fun, I will walk you through the steps in this simple to follow video tutorial.
You can start the bread baking a day before and put it in the fridge to have it ready to bake for breakfast. When you have shaped your bread, cover it and put it in the fridge immediately. Remove from the fridge in the morning, let it come to room temperature and bake.
Easy white bread recipe
- 600 grams Strong White Bread Flour (you can use a mixture of wholemeal and white if you like)
- 25 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sachet easy bake yeast (7 grams) (If you cannot find yeast in the shops you can make your own, scroll to bottom of the page for more information.)
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 350 ml lukewarm water
- 1 medium egg
- pinch of salt
- a teaspoon of milk
Method for easy white bread recipe
- Put the flour in a bowl, add the butter and rub with your fingers until well rubbed in
- Add the yeast, sugar and salt and stir to mix together
- Add the water and two tablespoons vegetable oil and mix with a wooden spoon first and when most of the water has soaked into the flour, use your hands to mix it into a dough and knead briefly.
- Turn it out onto an oiled, not floured, work surface and knead with your hands for about 10 minutes until smooth.
- Put the dough ball back into the bowl, you can brush the bowl with vegetable oil first and cover with cling film, leave it in a warm place and let it rise until double in size, it can take about 1-2 hours. The speed at which it rises depends on the warmth of the place it is in.
- Prepare a baking tin by putting greaseproof paper on the bottom. If you think your bread may stick you can line the sides too.
- When the dough is ready, gently shape it to a size that fits in the loaf tin. Put it in the loaf tin
- Cover it lightly with lightly oiled cling film and let it rise until almost doubled in size, about 30-40 mins
- 5-10 minutes before it is ready, preheat your oven to 200 Celsius or 180 C Fan
- Brush with the egg, milk and salt mixture
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes. You test to see if it is ready by knocking or tapping the bottom of the simple loaf for beginners. If it sounds hollow it is ready. If the bottom is too soft and does not sound hollow put it back in the oven for a few more minutes
If you cannot find yeast you can make your own yeast at home with this sourdough starter recipe
When the starter is ready you can try out this simple sourdough bread recipe