These red velvet muffins are quick and simple to make. You need a good red velvet colouring to make the colour stand out. I use gel food colourings but use what works for you.
For variety, you can add some chocolate chips into the dry ingredients and add a few more chocolate chips on top when they are ready to go into the oven.
- 385 grams plain flour
- 15 grams cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 ml plain yoghurt
- red food colouring gel (https://amzn.to/2U7PoAB (affiliate))
- Preheat the oven to 180C and then line muffin tray with paper cases.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl
- Put the wet ingredients into a jug together with some red food colouring and mix together
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together
- Divide the mixture into your prepared muffin tray
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on top and springy to the touch. Test with a cake tester or toothpick to make sure it is properly cooked in the middle.
- Let the red velvet muffins cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- You can eat them as they are or dust some icing sugar on top.