In this video tutorial I show you how to make cheese straws from easy puff pastry. I have a video tutorial showing how to make the rough puff pastry which you can watch by clicking the link or the link in the ingredients.
Cheese straws are quick and simple to make and taste great on their own or dipped in soups, hummus/houmous or other dips.
- Rough puff pastry
- Any cheese of your choice, I used a mix of cheddar and parmesan
- One egg beaten in a bowl for an egg wash
- Sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 200 Celsius
- Put some baking paper on a baking tray and put this to one side
- Roll out the puff pastry are it is a few mm thick
- Put your cheese on one side of the puff pastry and then fold the other half on top of it like a flap
- Pat the pastry down with your hands gently and then cut strips of the dough.
- Get one piece of the strips and twist it as tightly as you can. If any cheese falls out just put it back and keep twisting.
- Put it on the baking tray and repeat the process with the rest of the strips
- Brush the top with the beaten egg and sprinkle some of the seeds on top
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until nice and golden brown on top
- Remove from the oven and leave them on the tray for a few minutes and then serve or put on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Serve with any homemade dips, soups or enjoy on their own.