In this video I show you how to make marzipan, this one is called boiled marzipan because it is cooked. Boiled marzipan is cooked marzipan. Marzipan is also referred to as almond paste. Marzipan can be made in two ways, boiled or unboiled. The boiled version involves making sugar syrup and then cooking the eggs for a few minutes. The unboiled version uses raw eggs.
- 150g caster sugar
- 40 ml water
- 175 grams ground almonds
- 38 grams icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 lemon juice
- pinch of cream of tartar (optional)
- Put the caster sugar and water in a pot over a medium heat and bring to the boil, then add cream of tartar (if using), until it reaches the soft ball stage on a sugar thermometer (116 Celsius)
- Remove from the heat and turn heat to low and stir the mixture until it just begins to turn grain and add all the ground almonds in one go and the egg white and stir. Return to the heat and keep stirring for a few minutes (2-4 minutes) and remove from the heat
- Put some of the icing sugar on a work surface and put your hot almond mixture on it and then put the rest of the icing sugar on top and knead in the icing sugar. The mixture will be hot but you can use a pallet knife to knead the sugar in if you cannot handle the heat.
- When you finish, cover the marzipan in clingfilm and leave it to cool completely
- You can use the marzipan to cover cakes or make some marzipan decorations