The addition of buttermilk and egg makes these buttermilk scones really fluffy and delicious! They are great on their own or with some cream and jam. It is an easy scone recipe and the best scone recipe I have
- 450 grams self raising flour
- 250 ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
- 150 grams butter
- 130 grams sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 225 Celsius.
- Add the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Put the butter into the flour mixture and then use your hands to rub in the mixture. Rub in until all the butter has been rubbed in.
- Mix in the sugar with your hands and then make a well in the centre.
- Add the egg and milk into the buttermilk and mix well, pour the mixture into the flour mixture and then mix together with a fork.
- When it is too thick to mix with the fork put the fork to one side and use your hands to form a dough with the wet flour mixture.
- Put some flour on a work surface and then put your dough on the flour. Use a rolling pin or your hands to pat down the dough until it is thick enough to start cutting out shapes.
- Use a round cookie cutter, any size you want, and cut the buttermilk scones out and put them on a baking tray.
- Gather up any remainder dough and shape it up again and cut more scones out. Usually there is a bit of dough left over which is too small to use a cutter on. Just shape it with your hands and put it on the baking tray.
- Brush some milk on top of the scones and bake them in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until slightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and put them on a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.