This quick sourdough bread recipe just needs three ingredients to make and is easily digestible as compared to commercial bread or bread made with commercial yeast. Before you get started you need to make your sourdough starter at least 7 days in advance. You can watch a video on how to make the sourdough starter here.
- 200 grams white bread flour
- 200 grams wholemeal flour
- 230 ml water
- 160 grams sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon salt
You will also need the following
- a proving basket (You can buy one here if you do not have one already https://amzn.to/2KXvTJR (affiliate)
- bakers blade, (you can buy one here : https://amzn.to/2uk4uYs (affiliate)
- Instead of a proving basket you can use a bowl
- You can also use a craft knife instead of a bakers blade
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Tip the mixture on to a work surface and knead this until smooth
- Put it back in the bowl and cover with some cling film and let it it rise until about double in size. It will take a lot longer than when using commercial yeast (about 4 – 12 hours) and depending on how active your starter is as well as your room temperature.
- When ready, punch back the dough and then shape your bread into a ball shape by pulling and tucking the dough underneath.
- Flour the proving basket so that the dough does not stick in it, put the dough in it and leave to rise, will take a few hours (depending on how active your starter is, as well as the room temperature).
- If using a bowl, put a clean dish cloth in it and flour it so that the dough does not stick. Then add the shaped dough in it and cover with the hanging cloth and leave to rise
- About 5 minutes before it has finished rising preheat oven to about 220 – 230 Celsius and put a roasting dish in it.
- Gently tip the dough onto a prepared baking tray, you can prepare it by putting a baking paper on it or flour
- You can now score the bread on top with a bakers blade or craft knife.
- Put the bread in the oven and put some hot water in the roasting dish to create steam in the oven. (optional)
- Bake for about 30 -35 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before serving.