This walnut and coffee cake is simple to make and tastes great. This walnut cake is sometimes referred to as a coffee cake, not because it has coffee in it, but because it is great to have with coffee. However, you can add some coffee to the batter if you prefer. Use the best coffee you can for this coffee cake to really appreciate the taste.
The sour cream or plain yoghurt makes this cake a moist coffee cake recipe. Yummy!
- 240 grams walnuts or pecans
- 100 grams chocolate chips
- 60 grams light muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
Coffee Cake Mixture
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 115 grams soft unsalted butter
- 230 grams self raising flour
- 180 ml plain yoghurt or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
Method : Walnut and Coffee Cake
- Toast the nuts until lightly brown, let them cool down and break them into pieces and put them to one side.
- Get a small bowl and add the crumble topping ingredients and the nuts, mix together and put to one side.
- Prepare a 23cm/ 9 inch round spring-form cake tin by greasing and putting greaseproof paper at the bottom.
- Butter and flour the sides of the tin as well.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 Celsius. (**Not 150 Celsius as stated in the video, however if you do bake at 150C it will just take a bit longer, about 50-60 mins**)
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add in the eggs one at a time and mix well between each egg added.
- Add in the vanilla extract, flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, coffee (if using) and plain yoghurt and fold in the mixture until smooth.
- Put half of the cake mixture in the prepared cake tin, spread it along the bottom of the cake tin.
- Sprinkle some of the walnut mixture on top, put the rest of the batter on top and spread it.
- Sprinkle the rest of the walnut mixture on top and push the mixture in gently into the batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 35-40 mins until golden brown on top
- Remove from the oven and leave it in the tin for about 10 minutes and remove the cake from the tin.
- Loosen the tin and remove the side and leave on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Put on a serving plate and serve.
Inspired by one of my favourite bloggers Joy of Baking.
Buy cake tin : Springform cake tin (affiliate)