The addition of buttermilk and egg makes these buttermilk scones really fluffy and delicious! They are great on their own or with some cream and jam.
- 450 grams self raising flour
- 250 ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
- 150 grams butter
- 130 grams sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 225 Celsius.
- Add the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Put the butter into the flour mixture and then use your hands to rub in the mixture. Rub in until all the butter has been rubbed in.
- Mix in the sugar with your hands and then make a well in the centre.
- Add the egg and milk into the buttermilk and mix well, pour the mixture into the flour mixture and then mix together with a fork.
- When it is too thick to mix with the fork put the fork to one side and use your hands to form a dough with the wet flour mixture.
- Put some flour on a work surface and then put your dough on the flour. Use a rolling pin or your hands to pat down the dough until it is thick enough to start cutting out shapes.
- Use a round cookie cutter, any size you want, and cut the buttermilk scones out and put them on a baking tray.
- Gather up any remainder dough and shape it up again and cut more scones out. Usually there is a bit of dough left over which is too small to use a cutter on. Just shape it with your hands and put it on the baking tray.
- Brush some milk on top of the scones and bake them in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until slightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and put them on a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.