I used fresh pumpkin for this pumpkin pie recipe uk, I cooked some pumpkin, peeled it and mashed it. You need a great base to put your pumpkin pie filling so follow the steps of the pastry carefully.
Ingredients for sweet shortcrust pastry
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g butter, chilled
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1 small egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 200 Celsius
- Put some flour into a bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the butter is all mixed in.
- Add in the icing sugar and mix it in with your hands.
- Put the egg in to the mixture and and use a fork to mix the egg in
- Put the fork to one side and use your hands to form a dough.
- Roll out the dough on a surface dusted with some icing sugar. Lift the dough up by rolling it onto the rolling pin and put the dough in a 20cm/8in round fluted flan tin.
- Use your hands to press down the dough on the bottom and all around the edges.
- Put the pastry into the oven and blind bake for 15 minutes
- Remove the baking beans and bake again for 5 minutes until slightly golden brown on top
- Remove from the oven and put on a cooling rack and make the pumpkin pie filling.
Pumpkin pie filling recipe
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 215 grams fresh pumpkin, peeled and mashed
- 60 ml double cream
- 50 grams soft light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice or pumpkin spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Method for making the pumpkin pie filling
- Put the eggs in a bowl and whisk them together
- Add the mixed spice into the mashed pumpkin and mix together. Add the ixture to the egg mixture.
- Pour in the double cream and add in the salt and sugar
- Mix this together and add to the blind baked pastry. You can watch this video to see how to blind bake pastry
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave it to cool in the tin and then gently remove the tin and put on a serving plate.
- Serve with some whipped cream or ice cream.