In this video tutorial I share with you this delicious lemon traybake recipe. You can adapt this recipe with different flavours. This tray bake sponge cake is soft, fluffy and delicious. This cake is sometimes school sponge cake recipe with icing and sprinkles.
- Butter, 700 grams butter
- 700 grams caster sugar
- Eggs, 700 grams(weighed in their shells)
- 700 grams self raising flour
- 3-4 teaspoons vanilla extract or any extract of your choice
- If you do not have lemon extract you can add zest of 3-4 lemons depending on the size.
- You can also add some lemon extract and fresh lemon zest if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius
- Butter and line your cake 9 inch by 12 inch cake tin with high sides.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until nice and creamy
- Add your eggs one at a time and mix well between each egg added
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Finally add the flour and mix until smooth
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level it off with a spatula or a knife
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes. Check with a toothpick and if if it comes out clean it is ready
- Remove from the oven and leave it in the cake tin for about 10-15 minutes and then remove the cake from the tin and put it on a cooling rack. Peel off the baking paper and let the cake cook completely.
- Slice the cake in half and then fill it with buttercream icing and lemon curd for the lemon cake, jam or any other filling of your choice.
- If you do not like to fill it, you can just make some powdered sugar icing and spread on top and add some sprinkles.