I am going to share with you this hamburger buns recipe which is a soft hamburger bun recipe and show you how to bake them in this video tutorial. You can make the buns a day in advance and bake on the day you want them. I make the recipe until just before the second rise time, shape them and put it in the fridge.
Never let them rise the second time if you want to put it in the fridge, it will flop and it will not rise again properly, trust me, I learnt the hard way. The next morning remove from the fridge and let it rise until doubled before baking.
Ingredients for the hamburger buns recipe
- 600 grams Strong White Bread Flour
- 25 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sachet easy bake yeast (7 grams)
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 350 ml lukewarm water
- 1 medium egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- pinch of salt
- sesame seeds
- Put the flour in a bowl, add the butter and rub with your fingers until well rubbed in
- Add the yeast, sugar and salt and stir to mix together
- Add the water and two tablespoons vegetable oil and mix with a wooden spoon first and when most of the water has soaked into the flour, use your hands to mix it into a dough and knead briefly.
- Turn it out onto an oiled, not floured, work surface and knead with your hands for about 10 minutes until smooth.
- Put the dough ball back into the bowl, you can brush the bowl with vegetable oil, first and cover with cling film, leave it in a warm place and let it rise until double in size, it can take about 1-2 hours. The speed at which it rises depends on the warmth of the place it is in.
- Put some flour on your work surface and put the dough onto it and knead it for a minute and divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. You can weigh on the scale to be precise.
- Shape one of the pieces into a bun shape and put it on a baking tray. I used a Swiss roll tin (about 32cm x 22cm x 2.5cm. Repeat the process with all the other buns
- Cover the baking tray with lightly oiled cling film (if you are putting them in the fridge, this is the time to do it) and let them rise until doubled in size, it will take a shorter time, about 40 minutes.
- 5-10 minutes before it is ready, preheat your oven to 180 – 200 Celsius
- When the dough has doubled in size brush with the egg, salt and milk mixture and bake immediately or sprinkle with sesame seeds or any other seed
- Bake in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes until nice and golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and remove from the baking tray and put them on a cooling rack to cool completely before using.