These mini cupcakes are colourful and fun to make and are a great size for kids parties. You can call them funfetti fairy cakes too. You can use any sprinkles of your choice but the brighter the colours the more fun they are for kids. This recipe makes 24 but you could make twelve big ones if you want to.
- 175 grams softened unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175 grams self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 50 grams cake sprinkles, of your choice
water icing and sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius
- Line two fairy cake tins with fairy cake cases. If you only have one tray you can bake in batches
- Cream the butter, vanilla extract and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well between each addition.
- Put the flour and sour cream and mix well
- Finally add in the sprinkles and mix.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for about 13-15 minutes
- Test with a toothpick to see if they are ready. If they are ready the toothpick will come out clean.
- Put them on a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating with the water icing and sprinkles.
- To make the water icing you put some icing sugar in a bowl and the add some water a teaspoon at a time and mix well between adding the next teaspoon until you get the right thickness.
- When the thickness is right, use a spoon to spread the icing on top and put some sprinkles on to before the icing dries and leave them to set.