The pumpkin spice or mixed spice used in this recipe come already mixed in jars in supermarkets. They usually have the right mix needed but you can make you own, with a careful mix of some nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger.
You can add chocolate chips to make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
Ingredients for Easy Pumpkin Muffins (makes 12)
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams soft brown sugar
- 400 grams plain flour
- 200 grams chocolate chip muffins (optional)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125 ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 100 ml plain yoghurt
- 200 grams cooked, mashed pumpkin
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice or mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- half a teaspoon vanilla extract
To decorate easy pumpkin muffins
icing sugar to sieve on top (optional)
Method for Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius
- Line your cupcake tray with muffin liners and put to one side
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and put to one side.
- Coat 150 grams of the chocolate chips with about a tablespoon of the flour (if using them and add them to the flour mixture)
- Put the mashed pumpkin in a bowl and add the spices, mix and put to one side
- Add milk, yoghurt eggs and the vanilla extract into a jug and whisk together
- Pour the wet ingredients and the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just mixed in.
- Fill the muffin cases to just over two thirds full. I use an ice cream scoop. Randomly, push in the rest of the chocolate chips on top of the muffins.
- Put the muffins in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 180 Celsius and bake for around 22 mins.
- Ovens differ so please test with a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle of the muffins to see if they are baked through and remove from the oven when they are ready.
- Leave them in the tray for about 5 minutes and then transfer them on to a cooling rack to cool completely