In this video tutorial I show you how to bake this delicious coconut and lemon cake. I added some elderflower to give this a unique flavour and they taste great. The elderflower is optional so if you do not find it is absolutely fine to leave it out.
Cake recipes with lemon are some of my favourite and I love lemon flavour in general.
- 200 grams butter
- 210 grams sugar
- 300 self-raising flour
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 50 grams dessicated coconut
- 2 tablespoons elderflower cordial (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- 4 large eggs (about 260 grams)
- zest of one lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius, line two 8 inch/20 cm round cake tins and put them to one side.
- Put the butter, sugar and vegetable oil in a bowl and whisk it together until creamy and light coloured.
- Start adding the eggs one at a time and whisk well between each egg added.
- Add the zest of lemon, the juice of 1/2 lemon and the elderflower cordial and whisk together.
- Add in the flour and dessicated coconut and fold in the mixture until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and use a knife to level the top with a knife.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 – 35 mins until light and golden brown, test with a toothpick and if it comes out clean they are ready.
- Leave them in the cake tins for about 10 minutes and then remove them and put them on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- When they are ready put one on a serving plate and put some lemon curd on it and spread it to the sides sprinkle
- Put the second cake on top and sieve some icing sugar on top.
- Serve and enjoy.