I decided to make a chocolate glaze or chocolate mirror glaze for cake which came out really well and I am very pleased with it. I always try to bake along to the challenges on the baking baking show. The Great British Bake Off. One of the challenges on The Great British Bake Off 2016 was to create a mirror glaze.
This is my very first attempt at making chocolate mirror glaze, actually, the first attempt at making mirror glaze.
You too can make chocolate mirror glaze and this is how.
Ingredients for Chocolate Mirror Glaze
- 8 grams powdered beef gelatine
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- 80 grams cocoa powder
- 80 ml double cream
- 150 ml cold water
- Put two tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle the powdered beef gelatine on top and put it to one side to soften.
- In a medium size pot, add sugar, cocoa powder, double cream and water. Stir together and then put it on the stove on medium heat and bring to the boil whilst stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat and add in your chocolate and stir until it has completely melted.
- Add in your beef gelatine and stir until it has dissolved.
- Leave it to set at room temperature and then pour it over your cake.
- If the sides of your cake are not coated enough use a spoon to gently easy it on to the sides.
- If you need a second coat just use more of the remaining glaze and pour on top until you get the thickness you need. The mirror glaze thickens more while it cools so you can wait for it cool some more before you add your second coat.