Sometimes finding the best buttercream icing recipe for cake decorating can be quite challenging. In this video I show you how to make the best vanilla buttercream frosting recipe.
I like the way it transforms a rather simple cake to something absolutely stunning. That, coupled with a few sprinkles, takes the humble cupcake to entirely new levels. Elegant enough to grace any occasion.
- 226 grams (1 cup) butter, softened
- 320 grams (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar
- 3 teaspoons of warm water (or more or less depending on the consistency you are after)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or seeds from one vanilla pod
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Gel colours of your choice
- Beat butter in a bowl, with an electric whisk, for about 2 minutes to make it smooth
- Add icing sugar, salt and water and beat until light and fluffy
- The longer you beat the fluffier it gets, do not worry about over beating ( I have been told that this does not happen)
- Options: You can colour all the buttercream icing a different colour or divide the mixture into different bowls and colour each bowl a different colour.
- Put in a piping bag and decorate your vanilla cupcakes