A Swiss roll is a fatless sponge cake. In this video I am going to show you how to show you how to bake a black forest chocolate Swiss roll. Basically, it’s my version of a black forest gateau in a Swiss Roll.
Swiss roll is best eaten on the same day because fatless sponge cakes do not keep fresh for long. Swiss roll is also known as jelly roll or cream roll in some countries. You can watch a video on how to make a non chocolate homemade Swiss roll recipe
Ingredients for the cake
- 120 grams caster sugar
- 70 grams self raising flour
- 30 grams cocoa powder
- 1/8th teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
Ingredients for the filling
- Chantilly cream
- Some tinned or bottled cherries (drained)
- A few fresh cherries for the top
- A bit of chocolate to grate on top
- Prepare your Swiss roll tin (about 32cm x 22cm x 2.5cm ) by greasing the tin with butter and then line it with baking paper*. (If you are buying one for the first time you will realise that the tins vary in size by a few centimetres so just look for the the nearest size.)
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius
- Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and whisk them until light in colour, and doubled or tripled in volume.
- Sift in the self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the egg mixture.
- With a spatula, fold the mixture until no traces of the flour mixture is left and it is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it gently into the corners.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Watch the cake closely because it can turn from cooked to burnt quite easily.
- Whilst the cake is cooking place some baking paper on a work surface and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and caster sugar.
- When the cake is ready, turn it on top on the the caster sugared paper. Peel off the paper on the bottom of the cake. Roll the cake up firmly with the paper and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling Make the chantilly cream and put some of it in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle
- Carefully unroll the cooled cake and remove the paper.
- Spread the chantilly cream on the cake and add the tinned or bottled cherries on top.
- Re-roll the chocolate spring roll and pipe some chantilly cream on top
- Put some of the fresh cherries on top and grate some of the chocolate on top
- Serve and enjoy!