How to sterilise jam jars and lids
In this video tutorial I show you how to sterilise jam jars and lids. Sterilising your jars helps the contents stay fresh for longer. If you do not have jam jars already you can buy some here.
The method of sterilising bottles and the jars in the link above can also be used for making chutney. You can make some homemade lemon curd and put in sterilised jars too.
What you will need
- jam jars
- warm water
- washing soap
- a baking tray with a cooling rack on it. If you do not have this you can put the jars directly on the oven shelves.
- Pre-heat oven to between 160 -180 Celsius. I use 175 Celsius.
- Put some washing soap in warm water and wash the jam jars and jam lids
- Rinse them out in some clean warm water and put them upside down on the baking tray with a cooling rack on it.
- Put the tray in the oven and leave it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- You can now fill the jars, while hot, and close immediately with the lid.