Dulce de leche cupcakes
Caramel is one of the most popular flavours, probably in the world, and I have baked with it before like in my triple layer cake with caramel. I have baked many different flavoured cupcakes but I had not tried dulce de leche cupcakes so I decided to bake them and see how they turn out.
I made some caramel buttercream icing to go with the cupcakes and added some pieces of caramac bars and caramac buttons for decorating. I used dulce de leche, which can be bought in a lot of the major supermarkets in the U.K to get the caramel colour in the cupcakes. It is possible to make dulce de leche at home if you cannot easily find it in the shops. If you would like to know how to make it post in the comments below and I will respond.
- 113 grams (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 133 grams (2/3 cup) white caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 tablespoons dulce de leche
- 200 grams (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 60 ml sour cream or plain yoghurt
- Caramel Buttercream Icing
- Caramel sweets (optional) I used caramac bars and caramac buttons
- Preheat oven to 175°Celsius (350°Fahrenheit)
- Line your cupcake tray with paper cupcake liners
- Whisk all your wet ingredients, apart from sour cream, together in one bowl .
- Add all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Finally stir in the yoghurt and dulce de leche
- Divide the mixture as equally as you can between the 12 cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top (test with a cake tester and if it comes out clean they are ready)
- Leave them in the cupcake tray for 5 minutes and then remove them and put them on a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
You can watch this video to show you how to decorate your cupcakes