In this video tutorial I show you how to make this delicious almond praline buttercream icing. You can use this delicious praline buttercream for cakes and any other desserts. You can watch how to make French buttercream here
I also recorded a video showing how to make praline and you can
For the praline
- 100g blanched almonds
- 300g caster sugar
- 100ml water
For the French buttercream
- 225g caster sugar
- 75ml water
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 8 egg yolks (use the other six reserved ones)
- 350g unsalted butter, softened
- For the praline, toast the blanched almonds in a dry frying pan until golden. Boil the caster sugar and water together in a pan until it turns golden . Remove from the heat and add the toasted almonds, stir well and tip onto a baking sheet lined with silicon paper. Leave to cool, then tip into the bowl of a food processor and blitz to a fine powder.
- For the French buttercream, pour the water into a heavy based pan with the sugar and cream of tartar. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until it reaches 115C (Soft Ball) on a sugar thermometer. Pour the egg yolks into the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. With the mixer running, gradually add the sugar syrup and continue whisking for 5 – 10 minutes until the mixture is thick and cool. Gradually add the butter bit by bit, whisking continuously.
- Fold in the praline powder and put to one side until needed.
I used praline buttercream for this Marjolaine recipe but you can use it for any cakes or desserts.