Pound cakes are quick and simple to make and taste great with a cup of tea or on their own. This moist pound cake recipe has butter in it and I love the butter taste in it.
Vegetable oil can be used in this recipe instead of the melted butter, if you prefer.
- 180 grams caster sugar
- 180 grams unsalted butter
- 125 grams corn flour
- 125 grams self-raising flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare a 1kg or nearest loaf pan and put to one side.
- Pre-heat oven to 175 Celsius.
- Melt the butter and put it to one side.
- Put the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl. Put the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk the mixture together.
- The mixture will start of dark yellow and quite ‘heavy’ but will increase in volume and be light in colour.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and continue whisking on a work surface until it has cooled down.
- Sift in the flours and fold in the mixture until smooth.
- Finally pour in the cooled melted butter and fold it in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for about 40 – 45 minutes until nice and golden brown.
- You can test with a toothpick, if it comes out clean it’s ready
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for about 10 minutes and then remove from the cake tin and put on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Put it on a serving plate and dust some icing sugar on top and serve