In this video tutorial I show you how to make these simple and delicious chocolate and vanilla swirl cookies/biscuits. These cookies are also known as swirl cookies or pinwheel cookies.
They are quite simple to make and can be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge. Do not store them in the fridge for longer than a day because they contain raw egg. Make sure you roll your dough tightly so that you do not not get holes in the biscuits like I did in some of them.
- 150 grams softened butter
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 300 grams plain flour
- Put some clingfilm into a 20cm/8 inch square cake tin and put to one side
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon or mixer
- Add the salt and vanilla extract and mix
- Add the egg and mix until creamy
- Put the flour and mix until the mixture is crumbly.
- Use you hands to gather the dough into a ball and divide the mixture into two pieces
- Press one half of the dough onto the prepared cake tin and press it down and into the sides of the cake tin to cover the base
- Add one tablespoon of cocoa powder to the remaining half of the dough and knead it in until it is all mixed in.
- Put the chocolate biscuit dough on top of the vanilla dough and spread it and cover the top on the vanilla dough
- Use the clingfilm to lift the dough from the cake tin and put it on a work surface.
- Roll the biscuit dough with a rolling pin until quite thin
- When the dough is ready use your hands to roll the biscuits, tightly, into a log shape. Wrap the pinwheel biscuits up in clingfilm and put it in the fridge until firm.
- Remove from the fridge and cut thin pieces and place on a baking tray. Put the tray back in the oven to firm up
- A few minutes before baking pre-heat your oven to 180 Celsius. Bake the cookies for about 10/12 minutes until firm and slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the baking tray for about a minute. Remove them from the oven and put on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy
Other biscuits to try homemade jammie dodgers