How to make puff pastry at home step by step
In this video I will show you how to make puff pastry at home step by step. It is best to start the process a few hours before you need the pastry or even the night before. Puff pastry takes some skill and patience to make but definitely worth it.
This is a good size amount to try and make puff pastry for the first time, if you like you can make more and freeze some for another day. This will make roughly a 370 gram block of puff pastry. Puff pastry has a lot of layers when you bake it which rise in the oven to make it puff up.
Puff pastry can be used to make pies, sausage roll.
- 225 grams white bread flour or plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 225 grams butter
- 150 ml cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
- Remove 25 grams of the butter and put it to one side
- Put the rest of the butter between two sheets of greaseproof paper and flatten it with a rolling pin into a rectangle (about 2 cm thick) and put it in the fridge.
- Rub the 25 grams butter into the flour mixture and add the cold water and lemon juice and mix until it forms a dough.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a rectangle about 3 times longer than the block of butter.
- Take the butter out of the fridge and place it in the middle of the pastry. Seal the sides of the pastry and then fold the bottom part of the pastry over the butter and then fold the top over the butter. Fold the pastry again and then turn the pastry and roll it out until flat.
- Repeat the folding process and then put it in the fridge for about an hour to firm up.
- Remove from the fridge and fold and roll two more times and then put it in the fridge to chill again for another hour.
- After the hour remove from the fridge and repeat another 2 more times and put it in the fridge until you need to use it.