How to bake a cake without an oven easy
If you do not have an oven you too can enjoy home ‘baked cakes’. In this video I will show you How to ‘bake’ a cake without an oven in a few simple steps. I actually use steam in this cake because it is nice and simple and the results are great.
This recipe is enough for baking 2 deep six inch cakes but you can half it to make one smaller cake. This method can be used for any sponge cake recipe. You can half this recipe to bake in one tin.
- 260 grams eggs weighed in their shells about (4 large eggs)
- 260 grams sugar
- 260 grams self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
You will need the following equipment
- 2 six inch round cake tins or if you have one you can bake one and when it is ready you can bake another one
- a large pot with a lid
- mixing bowl
- a bowl or plate which you will need to put upside down in your pot as a stand for your cake
- a piece of greaseproof paper and string
- Grease and line your tins and put to one side
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until nice and creamy
- Add your eggs one at a time and mix well between each egg added a
- Finally add in your flour and mix until nice and smooth
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and then get a piece of greaseproof paper and string and tie the greaseproof paper on top so that the cake does not get wet while baking
- Put these to one side and then put water in your pot and put a bowl upside down and then get your cake tin and put one tin in the pot and cover with a lid.
- Put the pot on your stove and then switch it on and bring the water to a gentle boil and keep covered for about 30-40 minutes
- Check after after a few minutes, if your water is running out add more hot water until your cake is ready.
- To check if your cake is ready remove the paper on top and press cake down gently and it will spring up when it is ready. You can use a toothpick to insert in the middle, if it comes out clean it is ready.
- Remove from the pot with oven gloves and switch off your stove. Put the cake on the cooling rack and leave it for a few minutes.
- Use a spatula to go round the edges to loosen the cake and remove from the cake tin and put it on the cooling rack and leave to cool completely
- When the cakes are cooled sandwich them with some cream cheese frosting