Deep 6 inch round madeira cake recipe
This deep 6 inch round madeira cake recipe is perfect for making high tiered cakes. Unlike Victoria sandwich cake cake Madeira cake is more stable and is great for stacking or carving.
For this particular madeira cake recipe I adjusted a Victoria sandwich cake recipe I sometimes use and I added plain flour to it to make it have a more closed texture.
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 200 grams butter or margarine
- 200 grams self raising flour
- 50 grams plain flour
- 4 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 50 grams water
- 50 grams sugar
- Preheat your oven to 130 Celsius.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 6 inch (15cm) round cake tin, cut out a piece of round baking paper and put it on the bottom of the cake tin and then flour the sides. Put to one side.
- Cream your butter, vanilla extract and sugar together and then add your your eggs one at a time and beat well between each addition.
- Add your flour and salt and mix well until smooth.
- Spoon your mixture into the prepared cake tin and level it with a knife.
- Bake in the oven for 75-90 minutes. Test with a toothpick to test if it is ready. If it comes out clean then it is ready.
- Leave it in the cake tin for 10 minutes before removing it and then putting it upside down on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While your cake is cooling make some syrup by mixing the syrup ingredients in a pot and then bring it to the boil.
- When you take the cake out of the cake tin prick some holes on it with a toothpick and then spoon the syrup into the cake and let it absorb into the cake before adding more. You can use all or some of it.