Japanese cheesecake on my youtube channel is creamy and light and tastes delicious. I have baked this cake in two different sizes, an 8 inch round and 6 inch round. To get a great height and jiggle you would need to bake the cake in a 6 inch round cake tin.
The first time I baked this cake it did not crack on top but cracks can happen and if they do, no big deal, they still taste great. Just dust with some icing sugar and enjoy.
- 140 grams cream cheese
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 80 ml full fat milk
- 40 grams butter
- 5 large eggs
- 50 grams plain flour
- 15 grams corn flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius and then grease and line a 6 inch round cake tin with high sides and no loose bottom. The grease proof on the cake tin has to be a few inches above the cake tin. You can also use an 8 inch round cake tin but your cake will not be as deep.
- Separate your eggs by putting egg whites in one bowl and egg yolks in another bowl
- Put the cream cheese, butter and milk in a pot and put it on a low heat to just melt the butter and cream cheese and put to one side. It must not get hot nor boil.
- Mix the plain flour, cornflour and salt into a small bowl and put to one side.
- Whisk the egg yolks until light in colour and then pour the cream cheese mix into it and whisk. Add in the flour mixture and whisk until is smooth, with no lumps.
- Using a clean whisk, hand or electric, whisk your egg whites until bubble and very soft peaks start to form. Add your sugar about a third at a time and whisk well between each third until you have used up all the sugar.
- Add a third of your whisked egg whites into the flour mixture and fold in with a spatula. Add the remaining egg whites and mix well between each third until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Gently drop the cake tin a few times on a work surface and then put the cake tin inside another bigger cake tin.
- Pour cold water into the empty, larger cake tin and put in the oven to bake for 1 hour 10 minutes for an 8 inch and 1 hour 20 minutes for the 6 inch cake tin.
- Switch off the oven and leave the door slightly ajar and leave the cake to cool completely in the oven.
- When it has cooled, remove it from the oven and cake tin and then peel off the baking paper.
- Put the Japanese cheese cake on a serving plate, dust with icing sugar and serve.