Lemon drizzle cake recipe
In this recipe I am going to show you how to bake lemon drizzle cake. The lemon juice in the batter enhances the lemon flavour in the cake. I have baked a lemon drizzle tray bake but if you do not have a tray bake you can bake it as a layer cake by baking it in two round 20cm cake tins and layer it with lemon butter icing and or lemon curd.
The drizzle topping leaves a nice crunchy top.
Ingredients for the lemon drizzle cake
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 75g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
For the drizzle
- 175g caster sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Butter and line a traybake with baking paper, roughly, 30cm x 23cm x 4cm
- Put all your ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well until smooth
- Put the mixture into the traybake and bake for 35-40 minutes
- Test with a toothpick in the centre of the lemon drizzle cake , if it comes out clean it is ready
- Leave it to cool down for 10 minutes
- Turn the cake onto a cooling rack and remove the paper
- Mix the caster sugar and lemon juice together and spoon over the cake whilst it’s still warm and allow to cool completely before cutting it into pieces.
If you do not have or do not like ground almonds just use the same quantity self raising flour for the lemon drizzle cake.