Wholemeal bread recipe
In this video tutorial I show you how to bake this quick wholemeal bread recipe. It is quick because I use more yeast than usual so you can get it started for breakfast the same day. I usually start the bread making process the night before with bread recipes that need less yeast because they need to proof longer.
There are different yeasts available on the market and the amount of yeast you use depends on the type of yeast you use. As a general rule when substituting fresh yeast for active dry yeast you use half the amount.
Wholemeal is also known as wholewheat which is brown flour used to make brown bread among other bakes.
I use half and half of the flours because that is what I prefer.
- 400 grams wholemeal flour
- 400 grams strong white flour
- 500 ml warm milk
- 105 ml vegetable oil
- 42 grams FRESH yeast, (if you are using active dry yeast then use 21 grams or 10 grams instant yeast)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the flours and salt in a large bowl and mix together and put to one side.
- In a medium bowl, add yeast and pour in some of the milk, put this to one side and leave it alone for about 15 minutes until foamy.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the remaining milk and mix together.
- Make a well in the middle of your flour mixture and pour the milk and yeast mixture .
- Cover the milk mixture with some of the flour mixture from the sides of the bowl and cover the bowl with some clingfilm.
- Leave the mixture alone for about 15 minutes and then uncover add the oil and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- When it is too thick to mix put the spatula to one side and knead it in the bowl until it comes together into one piece.
- Put some oil on your work surface and put your dough on it and knead until smooth.
- Put the dough back into the bowl and cover and leave to rise for about 30 minutes.
- When ready, gently push the dough back into the bowl with your hands then put it onto your work surface. Shape it roughly into a loaf shape, big enough to fit in your loaf pan.
- Place it into your loaf pan and cover and leave to rise for about 30 minutes. If you do not have a loaf tin just shape your bread on a baking tray, cover it and leave to rise.
- A few minutes before it has finished rising preheat oven to 190 Celsius .
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the bread from the tin and tap the bottom, if it sounds hollow it is ready.
- Place it on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely or serve warm.
Other bread to try