Three Layer Vanilla Cake
The best way to get a ultimate vanilla flavour is to use the seeds from the vanilla bean and I like to see the little seeds in the cake. When you buy the vanilla beans make sure they are plump and smooth never buy the dry ones. I always buy the Madagascan vanilla pods because from my experience they are the best.
I once ordered a different type of vanilla pods which were dry and thin and it was impossible to cut and get the seeds out so I now stick to my favourite type.
There are also different ways to get the vanilla flavour and I think the most common way is from vanilla extracts. Always go for pure vanilla extract, never vanilla flavouring. You can also get vanilla paste which has the vanilla flavour as well as the seeds.
In this three layer vanilla cake I will be using the seeds of one vanilla pod. If you cannot find them I would say use about 3-4 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
- 500grams plain flour
- 310g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250 ml milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 125ml veg oil
- 3 large eggs
- seeds of one vanilla pod
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 Celsius
- Butter and line, with baking paper, three 20cm round cake tins.
- Put the lemon juice into the milk, stir and set aside for at least 5 minutes
- Put all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Add the eggs, oil and vanilla pod seeds into the milk mixture and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly brown
- Remove the vanilla cakes from the oven and leave them in the tins for 5 minutes and then remove them from the tin and peel off the baking paper and leave them to cool completely.