In this video tutorial I show you how to make this simple streusel topping for muffins. Streusel topping is also referred to as crumb topping and can be used for other bakes including desserts and some breads.
You can add any other ingredients to the topping if you want but usually all that is needed is flour, butter and sugar. In this particular recipe I used poppy seeds and lemon zest for some lemon poppy seed muffins which I was baking. Both the poppy seeds and lemon zest are optional.
- 170 grams plain flour
- 115 grams cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 55 grams demerara sugar
- zest of one small lemon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (optional)
- Put the plain flour in a bowl and then add in the butter and rub it in with your hands.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix this with your hands until the mixture is crumbly and all the butter is mixed in.
- Add in the lemon zest and mix it in
- Finally add in the demerara sugar and mix it in.
- And the streusel topping for muffins is now ready to sprinkle on to muffins and other bakes.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge