Spicy Carrot Cake
I use light muscovado sugar in this spicy carrot cake recipe rather than caster sugar because muscovado sugar brings a very nice and unique flavour to the cake. The unique flavour will be more apparent if you have not used muscovado sugar before. This sugar is soft brown and unrefined or slightly refined so it still has molasses still remaining.
I tend to use muscovado sugar in all my carrot cakes and a few other cakes including chocolate.
In this recipe I will share with you this spicy carrot cake recipe and I hope you enjoy making and sharing it.
- 175 grams light muscovado sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 175 ml vegetable oil
- 300 grams grated carrots
- 100 grams chopped walnuts (optional)
- 280 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- about a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
for the cream cheese icing
half this recipe Cream Cheese Icing recipe
Spread it on top and sieve on some ground cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius
- Grease and line, with baking paper, the base of a 23 cm springform cake tin and butter and flour the sides
- Put the sugar and all your wet ingredients, including the carrots into a large bowl and mix, add the walnuts, if using.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix
- Put the mixture into the prepares cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean it is ready.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn it onto a cooling rack and peel off the paper from the bottom of the cake and leave to cool completely
- Spread the cream cheese icing on top and sprinkle on some cinnamon powder