Pineapple upside down cupcakes
From my research fruit upside down cakes can be traced back to the middle ages. They were made in heavy based saucepans on an open fire. Different types of fruit were added on top of the cakes and usually any seasonal fruit was used. In this video I will be showing you how to make pineapple upside down cupcakes.
Pineapples were just a new twist to upside down cakes and they became really popular after 1903 when canned pineapples were first introduced by Jim Dole of the Hawaiian Pineapple Company. Glace cherries add more colour and make the cake even prettier.
For this pineapple upside down cupcakes recipe I am using glace cherries for the middle of the pineapple rings but you can leave them out completely if you do not like them. If you cannot find canned pineapples or you just prefer fresh pineapples it is ok to use fresh pineapples instead of the canned one.
For the pineapple syrup
- 55 grams butter
- 160 grams light soft brown sugar
- pineapple rings
- glace cherries
For the cake
- 113 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 200 grams self raising flour
- 100 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius
- Get a cupcake tray and butter and flour the sides of your tray if your cupcake tray tends to stick. If you are not sure butter and flour it anyway to prevent your cakes from sticking.
- Put the butter and brown sugar in a pot and melt it on the stove and stir until the butter has melted.
- Leave it on the stove until it begins to bubble and then remove from the heat.
- Spoon the caramel into the cupcake tray holes and then arrange the pineapples on top. Put the glace cherries in the centre of your pineapple rings
Method for cake preparation
- Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar together then add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each egg addition.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until smooth
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake trays holes and bake in the preheated oven for 17-20minutes or until golden brown on top. Test with a toothpick inserted only into the cupcakes to check if they are ready, if it comes out it
- Put the tray on a cooling rack and leave it for 5 minutes and then get another cooling rack and put it on top of your tray. Flip the tray upside down onto the other cooling rack and then tap it gently onto the bottom and release your cupcakes while they are still hot.
- Leave them on a cooling rack to cool completely or serve when warm
You can try this pineapple upside down cake as an alternative