How to make sweet shortcrust pastry
It is simple to make and it can be made in advance so that if you are entertaining you have one less thing to do on the day.
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150g butter, chilled
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Put some flour into a bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the butter is all mixed in.
- Add in the icing sugar and mix it in with your hands.
- Put the egg in to the mixture and (if necessary 2 tablespoons cold water) and use a fork to mix the egg in
- Put the fork to one side and use your hands to form a dough.
- Roll out the dough on a surface dusted with some icing sugar. Lift the dough up by rolling it onto the rolling pin and put the dough in a 23cm/9in fluted flan tin.
- Use your hands to press down the dough on the bottom and all around the edges and transfer to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
To blind bake the sweet shortcrust pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius
- Put some non-stick baking paper on top of the pastry and put baking beans or uncooked rice on top of the paper.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes, then remove the beans and paper and cook for a further 5 minutes to dry out the base. Set aside to cool a little before adding the filling.