How to make marshmallow chrysanthemums
In this video I will be showing you how to make marshmallow chrysanthemums, mums or chrysanths, for short. I baked some vanilla cupcakes which I used in this video but you can bake any cupcake flavours of your choice. I also made a marshmallow daisy and a marshmallow sunflower which I hand painted with edible paint.
You will need some buttercream icing . This amount is too much if you are just making marshmallow chrysanthemum so you can just quarter the recipe or make the full amount and just freeze the rest of the buttercream icing for another time. If you are going to make the marshmallow chrysanthemum and other flowers then I think the one portion one the buttercream icing should be enough to decorate the seven cupcakes needed to make a cupcake bouquet.
I decorated these marshmallow chrysanthemums to use in the cupcake bouquet video tutorial which you can watch too if you are interested in making the cupcake bouquets. In the cupcake bouquet videos I showed two different ways to make the cupcake bouquets.
You will need the following ingredients to decorate the marshmallow chrysanthemum cupcakes
- white mini marshmallows
- vanilla cupcakes
- buttercream icing
- Put about a tablespoon of some of the buttercream icing into a small bowl and colour it yellow
- Put about a tablespoon of some of the buttercream icing into a small bowl and colour it green
- Some edible paint (optional)
- paint brush (optional)
- You will also need scissors and a knife for spreading the buttercream icing.
- Cut your mini marshmallows into two pieces diagonally using scissors. You will need a a few for your cupcakes.
- When you you have cut enough marshmallows put them to one side.
- Spread some buttercream icing on top of your cupcake and then start to arrange your cut marshmallows onto your cupcake starting on the outside of the cupcake. Go all the way around the cupcake and when you finish start the next row and make sure your marshmallows are in-between two of the petals and then carry on until you reach the middle.
- If you want to make one with yellow in the middle to make a daisy then you decorate you cupcake as the process above but leave off a few petals in the middle and then add some of the yellow icing. You do the same process but replace the yellow icing with the green for the other flower.
- For the yellow ‘marshmallow sunflower’ I decorated the cupcake with mini marshmallows using the above process but I painted the the petals yellow but I also used a bit of brown and red for the darker shades.