Lemon muffin recipe
In this video tutorial I show you how to bake this lemon muffin recipe. I added poppy seeds to make lemon poppy seed muffins. Poppy seed is an oilseed obtained from the opium poppy plant. The seeds are used, whole or ground, as an ingredient in many foods, and they are pressed to yield poppyseed oil.
Poppy seeds, from my experience, do not add any flavour to the actual muffins, it just adds some crunch. Some people say that poppy seeds have a nutty texture but I cannot taste it. If you do not like poppy seeds or if you cannot find them you can leave them out.
If you like the muffins to taste more lemony you can substitute some of the milk with lemon juice.
- 215 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 265 grams caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus 2 tsp for sprinkling (optional)
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of 1 medium lemon
For the Icing
- 130 grams icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C and then line muffin tray with paper cases.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and then add the wet ingredients and the lemon zest and then mix until just mixed in.
- Put the lemon streusel on top and then press it gently into the cake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on top and springy to the touch. Test with a cake tester or toothpick to make sure it is properly cooked in the middle.
- Let the lemon poppy seed muffins cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Mix the icing ingredients together and drizzle over the cooled lemon poppy seed muffins and then sprinkle some poppy seeds on top. You can watch a video tutorial showing how to make some lemon powdered sugar icing here