Iced finger buns recipe
Paul Hollywood’s Iced finger buns recipe makes delicious tea time treats. You could make the buns in advance then ice and fill them just before serving.
This was one of the Great British Bakeoff Challenges Second series. I baked them then and I still bake them now. I have never put the cream in the middle because of the amount of calories but you can do so if you wish. There is a link at the bottom of the page for my simple water icing which I used and you can add sprinkles on top.
For the dough
- 500g strong white flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 40g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 x 7g sachets instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 150ml warm milk
- 140ml water
For the icing
- 200g icing sugar
- 5 tsp cold water or lemon juice
For the filling
- 200ml whipping cream
- 100g strawberry jam
- icing sugar, for dusting
- To make the dough, place all the ingredients into a large bowl, holding back a quarter of the water. Stir the mixture with your hands, then slowly add the remaining water to form a dough and knead in the bowl for four minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces, each about 70g/2½oz, then roll into balls and shape into fingers about 13cm/5in long.
- Place the dough fingers onto a greased baking tray, leaving space for them to double in size, then set aside in a warm place for 40 minutes. They should just touch each other when they’ve risen.
- 10 minutes before they finish rising the second time, preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then set them aside to cool.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar in a wide bowl and gradually stir in the cold water to form a thick paste.
- Dip the top of the cooled fingers into the icing, smoothing it with your finger, then leave to set on a wire rack.
- Lightly whip the cream and spoon it into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle. Spoon the strawberry jam into another piping bag.
- Sliced the iced fingers horizontally, leaving one long edge intact. Pipe in a generous line of whipped cream into the middle of each finger, then a thinner line of jam. Dust the iced fingers with icing sugar and serve.
I hope you enjoyed making this iced finger buns recipe.