How to make strawberry jam
In this video tutorial i show you how to make strawberry jam at home. It is quick and simple to make. You need some sterilised jars first. You can watch a video I made showing how to wash and sterilise jam jars and lids
If you do not have jam jars already you can buy some here.
- Juice of one lemon
- Jam Sugar This is the only one I like
- You will need equal amounts of the jam and sugar. In this recipe I used slightly less sugar
- About 25 grams butter (optional)
- Put a small saucer in the freezer (You will need this later to check if the jam is ready.)
- Cut strawberries and put them and the juice of of the lemon in a pot with high sides.
- Put the pot on medium heat and stir until the strawberries start to bleed.
- Add the sugar and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave this to boil rapidly for about 6-7 minutes or until setting point is reached (105 Celsius). If you have a thermometer you can use it, some have a temperature clearly marked jam.
- You can add the butter at this point to reduce the amount of foaming
- Some bubbles start to appear on top of your jam, you can remove them if you want, with a spoon into a bowl and throw away.
- Remove the jam from the heat and leave for about 10 minutes and then pour into the sterilised jars using a jam funnel(which you can buy via that link if you do not have one already) and seal immediately. It is very hot so you need to be very careful.
- Not always necessary but if you feel you need to check if the jam is ready :
- Put a teaspoon of the jam on the saucer in the fridge and then leave it in there for about 5 minutes.
- Do a wrinkle test by pushing the jam gently with your finger, if it wrinkles up, it is ready. If it does not then boil the jam for a few more minutes and do the test again