How to make praline
In this video tutorial I show you how to make praline. I am making French almond praline but you can use the same method to make other pralines with different nuts, e.g hazelnut or pecan praline. The nuts are first toasted and then added to caramel.
Praline can be used to fill chocolates and added to ice cream and buttercream among other uses. You can also make make some praline shards to top cupcakes or cakes.
For the praline
- 100g blanched almonds
- 300g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- Toast the blanched almonds in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Put them on a plate and put them to one side.
- Put the caster sugar in a pot and add the water. Pour the water into the caster sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the sugar mixture to a boil until it turns golden brown. Keep a close watch because it can burn easily.
- Remove from the heat and add the toasted almonds, stir well and put the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Leave it to cool completely and then use your hands to break it into pieces and then put the mixture into a food processor and process until fine crumbs
- If you do not have a food processor you can put the big pieces between two pieces of baking paper and bash them with a rolling pin until they are fine crumbs.
- Then use it as your recipe suggests