How to make marzipan
In this video tutorial I show you how to make marzipan or almond paste as it is sometimes referred to. Marzipan is usually used to cover fruit cakes like this 6 inch round fruit cake, before finally putting on fondant. It can also be coloured and used to make marzipan cake decorations or marzipan fruits.
Marzipan can also be added to some bakes before they go in the oven and you can watch a video on how to cover a cake with marzipan
- 225 grams icing sugar
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 450 grams ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or a few drops of almond extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Put both sugars in a bowl and then whisk them together
- Add in the ground almonds and mix together
- Put the eggs in a small bowl and add in the lemon juice and vanilla extract or almond extract. Mix together
- Pour the mixture into the almond and sugar mixture and use a fork to mix it together
- When it is too thick to mix with the fork use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl
- Sprinkle some icing sugar on the work surface and knead it gently until smooth and then roll it out and use it.
I have also made boiled marzipan in a previous post.