How to make highlander shortbread biscuits
I grew up eating store bought highlander biscuits. They were my favourite type of biscuits. I did not know what they were called at that time. If I remember well highlanders was the name of the company that made the biscuits. In this recipe I am going to show you how to make highlander shortbread biscuits.
It is only recently that I have tried to recreate them and that is when I realised that they are actually a type of shortbread biscuit. They are very easy to make and delicious.
- 100g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 50g corn flour
- 2-3 tbsp Demerara sugar (optional)
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and corn flour and mix well, using your hands to knead the mixture together.
- Roll into a thick sausage, then roll in the Demerara sugar, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for an hour. These are make ahead cookies so you can even make them the day before you need them.
- Preheat the oven to 190Celsius
- Grease a baking tray.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into 14 slices.
- Bake for 13 minutes. They should be a bit brown around the edges. Leave them on a cooloing rack for one minute before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely
I hope you enjoyed this short tutorial on how to make highlander shortbread biscuits.