How to make Cherry bakewell cookies
In this post I am going to show you how to make cherry bakewell cookies which are from a fellow blogger called Sammie from feasting is fun. The link to the original cherry bakewell cookies is at the bottom of this page. These cookies have flaked almonds and glace cherries and are quick and simple to make and taste delicious.
The cherry bakewell cookies can be made in advance and stored in the fridge to cut slices whenever needed.
Recipe: Makes approximately 20 Cherry Bakewell Cookies
- 225g softened unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 225g plain white flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 100g flaked almonds
- 100g glacé cherries cut in quarters
For the drizzle
- 150g icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- lemon juice
- In a large bowl add the butter, sugar, salt and cream the mixture together
- Add the egg yolk and mix. Add vanilla extract and the almond extract and mix together
- Get your bowl of cherries and add a tablespoon of flour and mix it in until the cherries are coated in the flour and put to one side
- Add your flour and mix until the mixture is a bit crumbly and then add in your cherries and almonds and mix gently so that you do not break the almonds
- Place the cookie dough onto the cling film and roll into a log shape and place in the fridge until firm (about an hour.
- When the cookie log is firm enough to slice, preheat the oven to 175 Celsius.
- Remove the cookie log from the fridge and slice the amount of cookies you want the cookies which are about 1.5 cm thick. You can put the log back in the fridge for another day.
- Place the cherry bakewell cookies onto the baking tray, spacing them well apart because they spread while baking
- Place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly golden brown around the edges and then remove from the oven
- Let them cool on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Use a palette knife or spatula to lift the cookies from the tray.
- When completely cooled the cookies are ready to be iced, Put the icing sugar and almond extract into a bowl add lemon juice, a little at a time mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- You can drizzle the icing over the cookies with a spoon and let the icing set before serving. You can store them in an airtight container
Original recipe : Cherry Bakewell Cookies : feastingisfun.com