How to cover a fruit cake with fondant
In this video I will be showing you how to cover a fruit cake with fondant.
You will need the following:
- a round cake covered in marzipan (here is a tutorial on how to cover a fruit cake with marzipan and a fruit cake recipe,
- a bowl of water and a pastry brush
- a knife or pizza cutter
- icing sugar
- a rolling pin
- about 750grams fondant icing, any colour
- Start by brushing your fruit cake with water and then put your cake to one side. The water will help the fondant stick onto the cake
- Once that is done, roll out your fondant, do not make it too thin because it will tear.
- When you have reached the right thickness roll the fondant onto the rolling pin.
- Bring the cake forwards and gently ease the fondant onto the cake using the rolling pin.
- Put the rolling pin to one side and start easing the fondant gently around the cake using your hands.
- Smooth the cake around using your hands or a cake smoother. Cut off the excess fondant and put it to one side.
- You can use the excess fondant to cover another small cake or it can be used for decorations. You can find a video here with simple fondant decorations
- That is how to cover a cake with fondant.
When you have covered your cake and you would like to transport it it is lovely to put it on a nicely decorated cake board. You can learn how to cover a cake board with fondant here. I recommend that you cover your cake board at least 24 hours before you need it so that it hardens before you put your cake need it. You can even cover it a few days before you need it.