How to bake rock cakes
Rock cakes or rock buns as they are sometimes known are quite simple and quick to make. They are a great alternative to scones, they taste like scones but much simpler to make. Delicious bakes do not need to take a long time. I have heard that they take their name from how they look. This rock cakes recipe does not need any special cutters, they are simply dropped onto the baking tray and sprinkled with some sugar.
I am going to share with you this simple and quick rock cakes recipe.
- 300 grams self raising flour
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 90 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 160 grams dried cranberries, raisins or sultanas (you can mx them all together if you like)
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tablespoon demerara sugar (for sprinkling onto the cakes before they go in the oven)
- Grease two baking trays. If you only have one baking tray you can just bake in two batches.
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius
- Put the flour, mixed spice and cinnamon powder in to a bowl and mix
- Rub in the butter until it is all mixed in
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix in with a wooden spoon
- Drop tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking trays and sprinkle some demerara sugar on top and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- When they are ready put them on a cooling rack to cool before serving