How to bake big top vanilla muffins
I have always wanted to bake big top muffins but I did not know how to. The closest I had come to high top muffins were high top cupcakes. As most bakers know cupcakes have a very light texture as compared to muffins so that was not good enough for me.
I wanted a ‘plain’ and simple muffin recipe. Plain as in it does not have fruit, chocolate nuts or anything else yet still delicious. After many attempts I finally cracked it and here are the results. I will show you too how to make big bakery style muffins in this video tutorial
Some say that the ‘secret’ to high top muffins is to preheat the oven to a very high temperature and then reducing it to the required baking temperature as soon as the muffins are in the oven. The ‘secret does work with some recipes and from my experience it might might work one day and not the next. For this recipe I bake mine at a constant temperature and it works all the time.
This recipe makes 12.
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 125 ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 250 ml plain yoghurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or seed of half of a vanilla bean
- 400 grams plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
icing sugar to sieve on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius
- Butter and flour each cupcake hole in your cupcake tray, this will stop them from sticking. I like the look of these muffins without the paper liners. For this particular recipe I do not like to use paper liners.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix the wet ingredients together separately in a jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until smooth.
- Fill the muffin cases to just over two thirds full. I use an ice cream scoop.
- Put the muffins in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 180 Celsius and bake for around 22 mins. Ovens differ so please test with a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle of the muffins to see if they are baked through and remove from the oven when they are ready.
- Leave them in the tray for about 5 minutes and then transfer them on to a cooling rack to cool completely
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to bake big top vanilla muffins.