How to bake a fruit cake
In this video, I show you how to bake a fruit cake. Fruit cakes have a dense texture due to the amount of dried fruit put in them and the low amount of flour. Fruit cakes also tend to have plain flour and no other raising agents like bicarbonate of soda or baking powder.
The fruit needs to be soaked before using so that it can soften and this makes it a lot easier to bake in the cake without drying out even more than they are already. This recipe is for an alcohol free fruit cake so I soak mine in fruit juice. Most fruit juices work well in this fruit cake apart from orange juice.
Fruit cakes can be eaten all year round and a lot of weddings like fruit cake too because they last quite a long time and some people like to keep a part of their cake for their first wedding anniversary.
- 800 grams mixed fruit (soak them the night before in 250ml of the liquid of your choice, I use apple juice)
- 200 grams unsalted butter
- 200 grams light or dark muscovado sugar
- 200 grams plain flour
- 10 grams treacle
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
- zest of one lemon
- Grease and line, with baking paper, a 20cm round cake tin with high sides.
- Pre heat the oven to 130 Celsius
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition
- Add the treacle, the zests and vanilla extract and mix
- Add the flour and and dried fruit and mix well
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the top with a knife
- Bake in the oven 4 hours and 30 minutes
- Test with a cake tester and if it comes out clean it is ready.
- Leave it to cool completely before decorating.
You can learn how to cover this cake with marzipan by watching a video tutorial I did : How to cover a fruit cake with marzipan