How to bake a 6 inch vanilla genoise sponge recipe
Most Genoise sponge cake recipes require the eggs and sugar to be whisked together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. The mixture is then whisked until it has increased in volume before adding dry ingredients and melted butter. In this recipe I am going to show you how to bake a 6 inch vanilla genoise sponge recipe with a difference.
Until my friend, Busi from https://www.cakesandsugarcraftsupplies.com/ shared with me this recipe for a Genoise sponge with this method I had not made a Genoise sponge cake or any cake for this matter with this method. I was interested to see what the texture would look like and I certainly was not disappointed.
This 6 inch round Genoise sponge cake recipe which has glycerine which helps to keep a cake moist for longer. A Genoise sponge is usually very light and delicate and is traditionally served with fresh cream and fruit.
- 100 grams butter
- 160 grams self raising flour
- 135 grams caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon glycerine or golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius.
- Prepare two 6 inch round cake tins with butter and greaseproof paper (you can bake it all in one tin if you want).
- Put your sugar, flour and butter in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Put the milk, eggs, vanilla extract and glycerine into a jug and mix it well together
- Using a hand whisk, gently pour the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and whisk together until all the liquid is used up and the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins or put the mixture into one tin.
- Bake the two cakes for 30-55 minutes, if you are baking in one tray bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes
- Test with a toothpick, if it comes out clean then it is ready.
- Leave the cakes in the tin for about 5 minutes and then use a spatula to go around the edges of the cake to loosen it and then remove them from the cake tin and put on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- You can then decorate or dust with icing sugar and serve