Homemade swiss roll recipe
A Swiss roll is a fatless sponge cake. It is rolled up whilst still hot and left to cool completely before being unrolled and then spread with jam and/or double cream. Some people just put jam only and some buttercream icing with the jam. I guess you can put whatever you prefer in the middle. Peanut butter and jam or even Nutella will work just fine too. In this video homemade Swiss roll recipe.
If you are using Nutella or Peanut butter I suggest warming it slightly just to make it more spreadable.
Swiss roll is best eaten on the same day because fatless sponge cakes do not keep fresh for long. Swiss roll is also known as jelly roll or cream roll in some countries. In this recipe I hope you enjoy making this home made Swiss roll recipe
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
For the filling
- about 6 tablespoons of jam
- Prepare your Swiss roll tin (about 32cm x 22cm x 2.5cm ) by greasing the tin with butter and then line it with baking paper*. (If you are buying one for the first time you will realise that the tins vary in size by a few centimetres so just look for the the nearest size.)
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk well until the mixture has increased in volume and is much light and frothy.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold it in carefully with a rubber spatula. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it gently into the corners
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Watch the cake closely because it can turn from cooked to burnt quite easily.
- Whilst the cake is baking place some baking paper on a work surface and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- When the cake is ready, turn it on top of the sugared paper. Peel off the paper on the bottom of the cake. Roll the cake up firmly with the paper and leave to cool.
- Carefully unroll the cooled cake and remove the paper. Spread the cake with the jam or filling of your choice and re-roll it and sprinkle it with some more caster sugar.
You can also have a look at this red velvet Swiss roll recipe