Egg yolk cupcakes
When I make macarons I have a lot of egg yolks left over and I there are many things I can make with them like lemon curd. However I have also tried to make other things like egg yolk cupcakes. This is a great recipe to use up egg yolks left over from making e.g pavlovas, meringues, macarons.
The egg yolk cupcakes are simple to make and the texture is great.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks (about 72 grams)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 115 grams butter
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 160 ml sour cream or plain yoghurt
- 200 grams self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius. Prepare cupcake tray and put it to one side.
- Put the sugar and butter in a bowl and cream it together with a wooden spoon or electric whisk, until nice and creamy.
- Add in the egg yolks and vanilla extract and whisk together
- Add in the flour, sour cream and milk and fold it in with a spatula or wooden spoon until smooth
- Divide the mixture into the prepared cupcake tray
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until nice and golden brown on top. Test with a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes, if you are not sure. If it comes out clean, they are ready.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cakes in the tray for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the baking tray and put them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- You can now decorate in any way you want.
Here are a few frostings to try