Easy small batch Swiss meringue buttercream recipe
Swiss meringue buttercream is so smooth and creamy and tastes absolutely delicious and it does not taste very sweet. Most Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipes make a big batch but if you do not bake a lot sometimes all you need is an easy small batch of Swiss meringue buttercream recipe and this is the perfect recipe to try.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream is also great for making buttercream flowers.
This is enough to fill and crumb coat a four layer six inch round cake like the one shown here. You can also just fill and decorate the top with this small batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream. If you do not like a lot of buttercream icing you can also use this to fill an eight inch cake together with jam.
This small batch of Swiss meringue buttercream is also great for when you want to just make a small batch if you have run out of a bigger batch of Swiss meringue buttercream.
- 2 large egg whites
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 170 grams unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the egg whites and caster sugar in a heatproof bowl
- Add some water in a pot and bring it to the boil. Put the bowl of egg whites and sugar over the pot of boiling water. Do not let the bowl touch the water.Keep whisking the egg whites and sugar mixture until it turns to meringue and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- When you get a bit of the meringue and rub it between your fingers it should be smooth and not grainy. If you have a sugar thermometer you can check your eggs to see if they get to 71 Celsius.
- Remove from the heat and keep whisking until the Swiss meringue mixture has cooled down.
- Add the butter about a tablespoon at a time and keep whisking until all the butter is used up and then add in the vanilla extract and salt and whisk.
- Let the mixture set until spreadable before using.