Easy Baked Alaska Recipe UK
In this video I show you how to assemble a baked Alaska. A baked Alaska is a layered dessert with cake at the bottom, ice cream in the middle and all encased in meringue then baked in the oven for a few minutes to brown the meringue. It is nice and simple to make and tastes delicious.
You will need the following :
- An 8 inch round vanilla cake which you can bake by following this recipeMoist 8 vanilla sponge cake recipe
- Meringue which you can make by following this recipe : How to make pavlova meringue
- 900ml – 1 litre ice cream, any flavour of your choice
- Cling film
- A 1 litre glass bowl suitable for the freezer like this one http://amzn.to/2ucnwxr(affiliate)
- A baking tray similar to this one http://amzn.to/2sgUxXU (affiliate)
- Put some clingfilm in the glass bowl so that some of it is hanging out of the bowl.
- Soften the ice cream a bit by leaving it out of the freezer for a few minutes. When it is soft spoon all of the ice cream in to the glass bowl and smooth over the top with a knife.
- Cover the ice cream with the hanging pieces of the cling film and put it in the freezer for a few hours until firm.
- While your ice cream is in the freezer bake your cake according to this recipe : Moist 8 vanilla sponge cake recipe and let it cool completely.
- When your ice cream is ready and before removing it from the oven make your meringue according to this recipe How to make pavlova meringue
- When your meringue is ready preheat oven to 220 Celsius
- Put some greaseproof paper on a baking tray and then put your cake on it and then remove the ice cream from the freezer.
- Lift out the ice cream with the clingfilm and put it upside down on the cake and remove all of the clingfilm.
- Spoon the meringue onto the ice cream and use a knife to smooth it over and make some peaks with a knife. Make sure you also cover the cake with meringue.
- Bake in the oven for 3-4 minutes until slightly brown and remove from the oven and serve quickly before it completely melts.
- You can store the remainder in the freezer.